Are you looking for some tips to cure insomnia? Many people suffer from this sleeping disorder throughout the world. It is estimated that as many as 35% of adults experience some form of insomnia at least once in their lifetime. Here are some tips to help you get a good night’s sleep.
10 Tips to Cure Insomnia
1) Tip No.1: Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed – Caffeine can make you feel alert and can keep your brain from relaxing. Alcohol is another stimulant that can make it difficult to sleep. Instead, drink plenty of water to relax your body. Water can dilute your blood vessels, which can make it easier to drift off to sleep.
3) Tip No.2: Avoid stress before bedtime – Your body releases chemicals when you are stressed. These chemicals can cause sleep issues. Do your best to manage your daily stresses. This may include changing your diet and avoiding certain activities like smoking and drinking alcohol before bed.
3) Tip No.3: Avoid bright fluorescent lights – They are known to have a negative effect on people’s sleep cycles. Instead, opt for light-colored sheets and pillowcases. The light filters out most of the reds and oranges in the room. Switch to white or blue bedding if you must use these colors. Just make sure they are not glaring through the window.
4) Tip No.4: Exercise at least three times a week – A good exercise routine will also help you feel more rested upon waking up in the morning. Not only will it help you get a better night’s rest, but it will relieve stress, tension, and fatigue throughout the day.
5) Tip No.5: Make sure you are getting enough sleep – To do this, try to determine what time of day your body is most relaxed. Try to stay asleep until the same time each and every day. If it’s still difficult to fall asleep at this point, try taking a nap. Napping during the day will disrupt your sleep schedule. Also, avoid eating late at night.
6) Tip No.6: Avoid taking in large amounts of sugar – This includes soft drinks, candy, cookies, cakes, and any other foods or snacks containing sugar. Instead, opt for low-sugar alternatives, such as fruit juice. These simple changes will make all the difference in your ability to cure insomnia.
7) Tip No.7: Avoid stimulants – Taking in a few extra cups of coffee each day will not only keep you awake but will make you more easily irritable during the day. Resist the urge to take in more than you need. In general, if you feel that you need something to perk you up, avoid it until the afternoon. Staying awake to fight the desire to have another cup is counterproductive.
8) Tip No.8: Go to bed at the same time each and every night – Although it sounds counterproductive, it is actually one of the best ways to get to sleep. You may be familiar with the saying, “nightfall is just around the corner.” However, if you do not sleep well at night, going to bed at the same time each night will prevent the need to oversleep.
9) Tip No.9: Avoid alcohol – Heavy drinking can greatly impair your judgment. Not only does it keep you awake, but it also tends to throw your system off-balance. Consuming alcohol at least two hours before bedtime will greatly reduce the risk of insomnia. If you must drink, choose an alcohol-reduced drink or one that does not contain any caffeine.
10) Tip No.10: Go to bed at the same time each and every night – Although this may seem counterintuitive, remaining asleep for the same amount of time each night will help your body adjust to sleep patterns. Instead of falling asleep right away, you will stay asleep longer and will not be as likely to toss and turn in your sleep.
This list is not exhaustive. However, it provides some great ideas for those struggling to find good tips to cure insomnia. Some people suffer from insomnia for years before they seek treatment. For others, curing their insomnia could be a matter of implementing just a few of these techniques on a regular basis. Regardless of why you suffer from insomnia, following these tips will make it much easier to get a good night’s rest.